Friday, June 13, 2008

Time . . . Where does it go??

I'm just not really sure where time goes. They say that time flies, but I've looked up in the sky and seen nothing. Yet, before I know it, so much time has passed that I can't believe it. I am amazed as I think on the last 14 years of marital bliss with my husband and remember so clearly that wonderful day we said "I do." We've known each other for 18 years, which is a wild thing in and of itself--it seems as though we've known each other all our lives and yet, how could 18 years have gone by so fast? My little one is 19-1/2 months and it seems like just yesterday that I was pregnant. On the other hand, I can hardly remember life before he was here! I am dumbfounded at how he could have grown so much in such a short span, and at how much he's changed from that tiny bundle we brought home from the hospital. It blows my mind.

I was looking at some old pics of my family in some photo albums (that's Nathan's new favorite thing--looking at photo albums) and remembering those days. Wow! I can't see how I've lived 37 years already. I look at photos of my grandparents who are now with the Lord, and I see how my own parents have aged over the years. It really just blows my mind. It makes me sad in some ways too, just thinking about how short our time with each other truly is.

We've been reading through the chronological Bible together as a church, and Rex and I have made it a point to do our daily readings together. We haven't kept up as well as I might have liked, but it's been enjoyable doing that with him. Earlier this week we read Ecclesiastes. I don't know that I realized just how manic-depressive that Solomon was. Gracious, that guy's moods were just all over the place!! He talked a lot about how everything is meaningless. Sometimes it's easy to fall into that mentality, but when I'm not in the depths of despair, I find that to be completely untrue. I'm no philosopher per se, but I am a "wonderer" and I ask a lot of questions, particularly "whys" that really have no answer. Sometimes that's frustrating, but I still don't think I would say everything is just totally meaningless. I'm not sure exactly what meaning to ascribe to a lot of things, but I wouldn't say that just because of that, those things have no meaning. I don't know.

Well, now that I've pondered that deep and endless subject, I think I'll get busy and do some cleaning. My child has made a disaster area of my office and I really must get it picked up before it drives me up the wall. I'll ponder more about something different at a later time. :)

No comments: