Thursday, June 19, 2008

Speaking of Dreams . . .

I don't know about anyone else, but I dream all night long every night!! It's been that way for as long as I can remember, and many nights it wears me plum out! Rex says he doesn't think he even dreams a lot of the time. I just can't even imagine that. My dreams are often very vivid and I can still remember some quite clearly that I had many years ago. With most of my dreams, I can only remember little bits and pieces and often even those are cloudy, but there have been some that have been absolutely crystal clear from beginning to end. Some of those I've told my prophet friends in hopes of an interpretation, but I don't know that I've ever really gotten an earth-shattering message out of them. Some interesting points, yes, but nothing huge.

I don't have any recurring dreams anymore. I used to have one when I was little, and I think it involved a merry-go-round, but it's been so long I can't remember. Now, I just have recurring themes in my dreams--different stories, contexts and people, but similar situations. One of the predominant themes is school--I'm back in school, either high school or college, and one or more of the following things happens:
  1. It's after Christmas vacation or Spring Break, and I can't remember my locker combination
  2. I can't find my class schedule to know what class I have at what time, or where the class meets
  3. I wander all over campus looking for the building and classroom where I am supposed to be, and can't ever find it
  4. It is late in the semester and I realize that there is a class (usually a math class) that I have forgotten to go to more times than I have gone, and I think I am going to flunk out of it
  5. I go to class and realize that there is a big project due that I have forgotten about

Seriously, I dream about this stuff ALL the time. I had one like this just last night. It makes me crazy. I don't know why I'm all uptight about that stuff--praise the Lord, I'm not even in school anymore, and don't plan to go back (God willing!) These were not even scenarios that I struggled with when I was in school either, so I'm not sure where it all comes from.

There is another theme that hasn't come up recently, but it used to all the time. I am walking somewhere, and it's usually a long distance, but my legs don't want to work. It's like I can barely stand or walk, or like I'm trying to walk through water (but there is no water). It tires me out just trying, and I think there's no way I'm going to make it to the place where I am headed. Weird. I really hate these dreams.

Often, my dreams are set in familiar places like houses I used to live in, or my grandparents' old houses. Sometimes I'm at the church where I grew up. Then others occur in places I've never seen before. All sorts of people turn up in my dreams too--people I've often not thought of literally in years. It's odd how the mind works, isn't it? I don't understand dreams and don't believe they all have particular meaning, but I do think there is something to some of them. I've written the most vivid ones down for posterity. Some might make scary campfire stories to tell my son and his friends one day :) All I have to say is, what a bizzare thing the human psyche is!

No comments: