Sunday, June 15, 2008

Ah, Father's Day

I've had a pretty laid-back Father's Day, and it's not even MY day! Went to church this morning and then came home and took care of a very tired boy who wanted to nurse forEVER before going down for his nap. I finally got to eat my lunch when I got him down at 1:30pm. But then after that, Rex and I did some catch-up on our chronological Bible readings, and then watched (or I attempted to) a couple of History Channel shows that my dad had put on DVD for us. I couldn't keep my eyes open, so I took a little nap :) The programs were not really my type anyway--one was about Indians in the Civil War and the other was about technology in war. I saw the first part of the Indian one, and it was relatively interesting, but I'm not going to go back and pick up what I missed after falling asleep. It wasn't THAT interesting.

I did do some dishes (still have some more to do) and swept the kitchen floor. It was about time to do that since crumbs were starting to stick to my bare feet when I walked around in there. I can't stand that. I really need to mop also, but I'll get to that maybe tomorrow. That's probably my least favorite chore when it comes to house cleaning. Our floor is in such terrible shape that it takes an act of God to get it clean and I never feel like I've been able to REALLY clean it well. The finish is gone, so everything sticks to it, and there are so many cuts, holes and divets in the thing that it looks horrible. In order to get it super clean, I have to get down on my hands and knees and scrub it. HATE that. When we moved in, we actually thought the floor was brown because the lady that lived here before us never cleaned (the whole house was nasty). After I scrubbed it, I found out that it was actually cream-colored. Scary. Anyway, I'll mop it soon--just not today.

We celebrated Father's Day with my family yesterday and Dad enjoyed all of us kids and grandkids, along with some chocolate cake and homemade ice cream. Mom made a cake with Splenda for Baking and it was really good. I couldn't believe how good it was, actually. I'll have to get the recipe. The ice cream wasn't as good as what she usually makes though. She made it with these Junk-It (I think that's how you spell it) tablets that my grandmother (Dad's mom) used to use--Dad always loved that stuff and Mom happened to find it the other day at WalMart. To me, it had basically no flavor. Mom said that maybe she didn't add enough sugar, but I think it needed more than just sugar. The ice cream we normally make is really rich and vanilla-y. We love it. I could gain a hundred pounds on homemade ice cream and chocolate cake. But I do try and hold myself back so I don't. I am worried that once I stop nursing that I will blow up like a balloon. I keep telling myself I need to start cutting back now so that it won't be such a cold turkey experience once he does wean. I'm really dreading that for oh so many reasons. The main thing is that I think he is going to have a COW. But we have another couple of months to worry about it.

OK--I've wasted enough time. I'd better go in and get some dinner on the table. More later!

No comments: