Thursday, June 12, 2008

Hmmm . . . Am I getting old or what??

Yesterday was Rex's and my 14-year anniversary. Funny thing is that neither one of us remembered it until my parents called at 9:30pm last night. We knew it was coming up. In fact, we went this past weekend and bought each other a canopy for the backyard as an anniversary gift. But neither of us had a clue that the day had come and almost gone until it WAS almost gone. We just laughed and wished each other a happy anniversary at 9:30pm. We weren't planning to celebrate yesterday anyway--with church activities and a sick child, there was no way. We'll do something fun sometime soon.

I was talking to my brother and sister-in-law on the phone last night (since they also remembered our anniversary even though we didn't) and was telling them about all our recent doctor appointments. Last week I went in for some bloodwork because I've just been so tired all the time, and not feeling at all like myself. I just haven't felt like doing anything in a long time. I drag around and have no energy. Well, my bloodwork came back and it turns out I have problems with my thyroid. I think that runs in our family, so it's not a huge surprise, but now I'm on medication for that. I've also struggled with depression for a long time and finally got some medication for that, so I'm hopefully on course to start feeling better and more like myself very soon. I'm very excited about that. I also have an appointment with an allergist to see if we can't get my allergies and asthma under better control since I've had 3 bad sinus infections in the last 6 months. Then there's Rex--he's already seeing an allergist for his issues. In fact, he had his skin test today and will start injection therapy next week. We also went this week to see a surgeon and as it turns out, Rex will have his gall bladder removed a week from tomorrow.

So, as I was relating all of these things to Paul and Holly, I just had to laugh. All that talk about doctor's appointments and forgetting our anniversary and all just made me think, "That pretty much just says we're getting OLD, in a bucket--yup, that sums it all up!" They laughed and laughed with me.

I often think of Monty Python's Holy Grail movie (I know, I'm warped) and this scene where the king comes up on a guy working in a field:
King Arthur: Old Woman!
Man: Man!
Arthur: Man, sorry.... What knight lives in that castle over there?
Man: I'm thirty-seven!
Arthur: (suprised) What?
Man: I'm thirty-seven! I'm not old--

Sometimes I think, "I'm thirty-seven! I'm not old!" and other times I just give in to all the other things that remind me of how old I am getting! Seriously though, I'm not going to get old without a fight!! I may fight from the comfort of my couch, but doggone it, I'll be fighting! :)

I was chuckling to myself the other day as I was talking with a girl from church who is expecting a baby in the next couple of weeks. She was telling me about how being "older" had made this pregnancy more difficult than her first--she felt more tired and "creaky", I believe, was the word she used. I agreed that being older and pregnant was definitely harder, as is raising a child when you're older. She asked how old I was when I was pregnant with Nathan and I told her 35. I think she felt a little funny when she confessed that she was only 30. But, most younger people don't realize how much different things are when you get a little older. I am glad for the wisdom (hopefully I have a little more of it than I did a few years back) and experiences I have had that will enable me to hopefully be a better mom at this stage in my life. But, I do wish for the energy I had when I was younger to be able to keep up with this little guy who seems to have enough energy for about 5 of me! The Lord works everything out according to His good purpose, though. So I know it's all good. It would be nice if we could just get all that wisdom and stuff without our bodies going kaput at the same time :) C'est la vie!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I take allergy shots and I LOVE them. I mean, they hurt like the dickens, but it is SO worth it. I feel a ton better!

Hope you all get everything worked out.

And I'm so excited you started your own blog! :)