Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Taggies: In the Flesh

With my whole introduction to the "Taggies" market (they make baby toys and blankets and such that have lots of little "tags" all over them--babies LOVE them), I got to thinking about how I have gotten some of my own tags. Skin tags, that is. While Nathan loves his taggies, I'm not too fond of mine.

Pregnancy and motherhood bring about all sorts of bizarre and potentially irritating anomalies. I'm not sure why it is, but skin tags are some of those. If you've ever been pregnant, perhaps you understand what I'm saying. My sister-in-law shared that she had one that would come up on her tummy every time she was pregnant, but then it would always go away afterward. She is lucky that it didn't stick around like most of mine did. I think I might have had one tiny little tag before I got pregnant, but since then, it's like someone planted a bucket of seeds and they just sprouted right up with a vengeance. And they keep coming up!!! My neck, for example, has become a veritable field 'o plenty with the nasty buggers cropping up all the time. Several of them have come and gone from my armpits. Gone, that is, because I would inevitably nick them with my razor while shaving. If you think that sounds painful, well IT IS. I would have pain like none other for a couple of days, but then the thing would shrivel up and fall off and I would be rid of it for good . . . until another one decided to rear its ugly head. That was the only advantage to shaving one.

So several weeks ago I had another one come up on my neck. This thing was really annoying and fairly painful. Sometimes my necklaces would catch it, or if I turned a certain way in the car, the seatbelt would rub it and I'd nearly come unglued. I often would just catch it with my fingernail. My mother often just cuts hers off with scissors, and I debated that--Rex said he would do it for me--but the thing was already so painful I just couldn't bear the thought of CUTTING it. EEEEEEEEEK! Anyway, I was standing in the kitchen at my in-law's house the weekend before last, and I noticed that the skin tag was GONE! It was bleeding like a sieve, but it was just gone! I guess it had fallen off somewhere. I didn't try to look for it. All I could think of was how glad I was to be rid of that thing. I wish the other 674 of them would just fall off my neck like that! Oh, to have smooth skin again! But at least they aren't bothering me like that one was.

One of these days, maybe I'll get up the nerve to just shave my neck and be rid of all those little suckers for good. Until then, I guess I'll just let Nathan play with my taggies and be thankful they are small.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

My mom has had skin tags for years. I remember her having them as a little girl. The doctor told her to tie a piece of thread around it real tight and they will fall off.