Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Proposal

Here's a quick little story.

Rex and I met at Oklahoma Baptist University where we both went to college. The fall after I graduated, we went back up to OBU for Homecoming (seems like I had a Handbell reunion or something) and Rex chose that weekend to "pop the question." He thought it would be neat to be back at the place where we first met for that momentus occasion.

So, one evening we were strolling across campus and came to a set of park benches. It was there that he got down on one knee, pulled out the beautiful engagement ring that he had picked out himself, and asked me to marry him. I said yes, of course, and after he placed the ring on my finger, we stood up and embraced. As Rex hugged me, he looked over my shoulder in time to see a small black and white animal coming toward us. Suddenly he yelled, "SKUNK!!!!" Not, "Hey, there's a skunk." or "I think we should get out of here because we might get sprayed by that skunk right there." It was "SKUNK!!!!" at the top of his lungs.

Now, of course an exclamation like that sent me into orbit. I nearly mowed Rex down in my attempt to get away as fast as possible because, according to all the yelling, that skunk was rabid AND was carrying bubonic plague . . . along with some very stinky perfume. I think I could have outrun Michael Johnson, gold shoes and all. Rex recovered quickly from eating my dust, and caught up to me as we reached the car. We checked to see if the skunk had stayed on our tails, but saw no sign of him, so we felt like it was safe to laugh. And laugh. And laugh.

Needless to say, our romantic moment was superceded by something quite unexpected and quite unforgettable!

No comments: