Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Product Reviews

I like to read product reviews--Amazon is great for that. I like to know if something I am considering buying is really worth the money and all it's cracked up to be. I have shied away from more than a few purchases based on negative reviews. I like writing reviews too. I figure, I'm helped by those that I read, so why not help someone else who may read mine.

For the last several months I have been a Bzz Agent with BzzAgent.com. It's awesome. They send me free products and I tell other people about them, and then I get MyPoints which I can redeem for free stuff later. Can't beat that--free stuff now and free stuff later. What's not to like?? Anyway, I thought I might review a few of the products that I have received lately, in case anyone is interested.

I got a Scrubbing Bubbles Action Scrubber starter kit recently. Basically, it's a foam handle with velcro on the bottom and it attaches to these disposable cleaning pads that have Scrubbing Bubbles cleaner built into them. You attach a pad, wet it, and then start cleaning. When you're done, you take off the pad and throw it away. They're mainly for tubs and showers, tile, sinks, countertops, etc., although the sky's the limit as to what you can come up with to clean with them. I tried it out just a few days ago on my bathtubs and sinks. It's not bad. It's handy that you don't have to use an aerosol spray (what I usually use), and I had hoped that the fumes would have been much reduced, even to the point that my overly sensitive, asthmatic dad could tolerate them. While there was no overspray or any particles from a spray can, the fumes from that little pad were still very strong--strong enough that they choked me up. The cleaning pad seemed to do a great job on my guest bathtub (which wasn't all that dirty) and I cleaned the sink and counter with it too. The foam handle was comfortable and easy to use. When I took it to my much dirtier master bathtub, however, I was disappointed. It didn't do a thing on mildew stains, and I had to REALLY scrub to get the soap scum off. Even then, it didn't remove it all. And I wasn't that impressed with it's performance on body oils and grime. Now, I have to say that the claims didn't say anything about removing mildew stains (that usually requires a bleaching agent), but they boasted a lot about soap scum and dirt and grime. I'm here to tell ya--it's not that great. I also had a little trouble with the pad staying on the velcro. When I would scrub pretty hard (which I had to do), the pad would start to come off. It was pretty annoying. I'm not sure how much these little buggers cost, but I personally don't think they're worth looking into unless you're looking for something that's easy to transport/travel with. I think for home use, I'll just stick with my spray can and my scrub brush.

Even more recently, Bzz Club sent me some Max Factor makeup. LOVE that! There were several products: ColorGenius Blush in Peaches with a ColorGenius makeup brush, Lipfinity lipcolor (in Burnished) and moisturizing topcoat duo, and Volume Coture Mascara in Rich Black. I was so excited about trying out makeup--I hate buying stuff not having any idea ahead of time if it's even going to look good on me or be the right color. First of all, I have to say that the blush was a bust. It looked like just the right color for me, but no matter how much I brush on, I still can't even tell that I've used it. It's like once you get it on your face there's no color to it, which totally defeats the purpose of having BLUSH. So, that one didn't fly. I really like the lipcolor though. Burnished is a great color, and it definitely stays on until you take it off. The moisturizing topcoat is fabulous (and it smells nice, too!) because the lipcolor is very drying, but you have to reapply it really often. I found that my lips stayed pretty dry, even with my usual lip balm over the lipcolor. I have to use makeup remover to get the lipcolor off, but I really like the fact that it stays on even while you're eating and drinking, so I don't mind. I like the mascara too. It has a different kind of wand that really separates your lashes well. If they make it in waterproof, I'll probably buy it--I really like to have waterproof mascara.

So, there you go. I'll review some more products another time. I have a bunch of reviews of baby items that I'll post soon in case any of you are interested in my 2 cents about those things.

No comments: